Thursday 5 March 2015

Higher Chelburn, Chilli Burn

I have been back at home now for a week, and had a child free day for the first time.  As I head back North on Saturday for a weeks work in the CIC Hut, I was keen to make the most of it.  The forecast was not optimistic, but I headed out with the Lancashire Bouldering Guide in hand to check out another of the more local venues.  Higher Chelburn is approx. 25 mins drive, with a selection of easy problems and the odd harder one.  The pick of the bunch is Chilli Burn 7c**.

mid crux

Latching the flake to finish the crux
 
The aim today was to tick the crag, but I missed out by 2 as they were just too wet and green.  After a warm up on the path side boulders, I ventured over to the chilli wall.  I ticked off the other problems here, the best being Sergeant Pepper (sit) 7a*, before getting stuck into Chilli Burn 7c**.  I had a quick play with a couple of sequences and climbed into the finish, but the crux was pulling on and setting up for the next 2 moves.  I could do it 2 ways (sort of), but settled for what felt the most likely, if less obvious.  After that the problem went much quicker than expected.  After 25-30 mins it was done.  A cool little problem.

Through the hard bit

I bashed around and climbed the rest of the problems at the crag.  Good ones were Limber Skin 7a, Clarion Call (sit) 6b, Top of the World 6a, Lover's Lip and Small Star 6b.  So, after 2 1/2 hours and 32 problems later, it was crag done.  Defo worth a visit, especially if local.  The problems may be small, but there is a lot of fun to be had.

chilli burn from Adam Hughes on Vimeo.

No comments: