Wednesday 14 March 2012

Golden Yorkshire Gritstone

After returning home from my winter season early, moving house and spending time with Em.  I managed a few hours at the crag today.  There are still a couple of starred routes at Heptonstall I have not done, so I was keen to tick a couple off.

I have not done any of the routes in the lower quarry, so Sunstroke Slab HS 4a** was the first to be soloed.  Next up was an excellent Triplex Direct E1 5b**.  Out on a Limb E3 6a** looked quite exciting, but had a good number of pegs in it.  I pre placed the runners on the pegs, then led the route whilst I belayed myself as well, much like you would do if you were solo aid climbing.  Poundstretcher E3 5c has the same start as the previous route, then escapes before the crux into Triplex Direct to finish.  As I had already climbed the other 2, I soloed this as well.  To rap things up here I nipped up Heatwave E2 5b**.

Satisfied with my lot in the lower quarry I went into the main to solo Thin Red Line E2 5b***.  This is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, and the sun came out just in time to make it perfect.  Pretty  tired, I finished off doing a few laps of Demarera E4 6a** on a rope.  It is fair to say that hanging around on tools for the winter has not taken away all my summer fitness, but a lot is needed to get it back up to were it should be.  With baby due anytime now, it is going to be hard to sustain the level I have managed over the last couple of years, but time will tell.

No comments: