Monday 10 September 2012

Bionic Arms at New Mills

Pete and I were hoping to get up to the Ravenstones today, but the weather on the moors was less than perfect this morning.  After driving over Marsden Moor, we ended up continuing on to New Mills Tor.  Neither of us had climbed here before, although I had tried and been rained off before.  I was nice to see perfect dry rock on routes just over 20m.  It is surprising how many starred routes there are here and the 3 star classic look very appealing.
Pete cruising Alcove Crack
I was feeling a little tired after bouldering last night at Mytholm Quarry, where I made a quick second ascent of Local Interest Only V7*.  So, Pete led the way cruising the surprisingly steep, but excellent Alcove Crack HVS 5a***.  He then made short work of  Mather Crack E2 5b**, another good, steep and pumpy number.
Above & Below: Pete on Mather Crack


It was my turn to lead, so I opted for the bouldery and bold Honcho E4 6b*.  Powerful and fingery moves led to a peg and another bouldery section.  Short but action packed.  Both Pete and I wanted to do Bionic's Wall E4 6a***, so Pete stepped up first and smoothly dispatched it.  I was hot on his heels to flash it as well.
Firing up Bionic's Wall

With tired arms, we opted to beat the traffic back.  A good day and still a few routes to return for.

2 comments:

Andy Turner said...

We are offended that you didn't pop in for a brew! All of 3 mins walk to our house. Glad you enjoyed it.

Adam Hughes said...

Was a last minute decision. Will be over again, so will let you know next time. Hope you are both enjoying the cycling. Off to blackpool on Wednesday to hopefully see cav win the Sprint.