Saturday 26 January 2013

Winter Bimble

West Face of Aonach Beag

I was meant to be working today, but a mix up and a phone call left it to late to find someone to climb with.  After a very leisurely start to the day, I decided to stretch my legs and up into Steall Meadow to see if any ice was hanging in.  It would be fair to say that a low level turbo thaw is in full effect.

Instead of doing nothing, I picked a way up and over Meall Cumhann knowing that there are lots of interesting mixed steps around grade 3 to potter up.  Some of these are as high as 20m, so you get a good bit of climbing done en route to the summit.  The weather was pretty good and I could see ice on the West face of Aonach Beag.  A good sign that things should be improving in this coming freeze thaw period.  i dropped down the steep West side via a speed bum slide in a grade I gully, which meant I was car to car in about 3 hours.  All turf around 500m was still frozen, but the snow was damp and sticky.  I would imagine that some care is needed higher up.

No comments: