Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Secret


Above: My false start
Below: Greg making good progress up Pitch 1


Today was the first of 2 I was spening on the Ben with Greg. The aim was to go and have a look at the Secret, a hard crackline that was first climbed by Andy Turner. I started up the first pitch, but soon realised my lack of climbing this season meant I was going to take way to long and time is an issue this early in the year. Greg took over and made good progress and was soon at the belay. I followed quickly and we changed over so Greg was ready for the main pitch. He was solid and steady the whole way up, but took around 3 hours due to the rime and verglass that had to be cleared to get good gear. By the time I was ready to follow I was pretty cold and the light was going quick. The rucksack, the clod and the use of a headtorch meant I did not climb it with any style. A descent and bumslide down number 4 took us to the comfort of the hut.
Above & below: Greg on the crux pitch.








No comments: